The season of summer is here! Parents will now have to figure out how their kids will be spending their free time. It can be challenging to keep kids stimulated and avoid too much screen time, but also schedules. It’s best to get activities organized for them to continue to learn and play, so that they have a summer filled with creative and fun experiences.
Here are some DIY hacks for kids summer organization:
DIY Summer Outdoor Fun Station
Kids need to be outside and enjoy the sun, even if it means being in their backyard, porch or balcony. Creating a summer outdoor fun station will get kids playing on their own and will keep everything organized and easy to put away.
● You can repurpose a shelving unit you have or you can get some wooden crates and stack them on top of eachother.
● Inside the shelving/crates you will store larger plant pots or buckets and fill them with a variety of things from water guns, chalk, balls and frisbees, sand and water toys (if you have a sand table or box), and bubble makers, and bug catchers
● You can have a large basket to gather any dirty or wet items to gather for cleaning and drying after water play.
● If you don’t have a water or sand play space, you can also use two large empty plastic storage containers and fill one with water and the other with sand and place on a sturdy table or you can also make your own DIY table to place them in.
DIY Summer Car Kit/Road Trip Survival
This is a way to make car rides more peaceful and ready for any trips to the beach, parks or road trips.
● Use a shower caddy to store markers, pencils, paper, colouring/activity books and card games.
● Place another shower caddy for when eating food and drinks in the car to avoid mess.
● You can also store stuff in the back trunk area with a shoe holder and store extra supplies like diapers, wipes, swimming goggles, bug spray, sunglasses, toilet paper and anything small.
● Get a small storage container for the trunk and pack it with a change of clothes, towels, sand toys, water toys, and a picnic blanket.
DIY Craft Station
Create a DIY crafting station at home so that it’s easy for kids to bring out and start creating art.
Family Command Centre
Having a central place for the family to keep track of the summer schedule helps everyone stay organized with plans. From summer camp, sleep overs, play dates, vacation away or staycation you can do this to stay organized.
● Use a wall near the kitchen or mud room, or any spot where the whole family gathers.
● Place an acrylic or dry erase board for a calendar as the focal point. Use chalk markers or pens that you can erase with.
● You can have a Summer Daily Routine and Activity checklist for the kids living here, and get them to learn how to take care of the home and have some responsibilities, which can help them earn some screen time. This will allow them to be more independent and teach accountability while being active.
● Create another spot for a board for any to-do lists you need for grocery or essential shopping, or what to pack and even meal plans for the week.
● You can also include an in-box/mail box so you can also drop things off here, it’s easier to remember what needs to be dealt with.
● Add a clock and hooks for keys and greenery for some decor. Your child’s artwork can also live here too!
I hope these tips help you have a fun filled and stress-free summer with your kids! I shared these tips on CTV Your Morning earlier this year that you can check out below.
Have a great summer and thanks for reading!